• Small-scale fisheries play an essential role in food security for both fishing and non-fishing households.
• Small-scale fisheries play a double role in fishing households: household consumption and income generation.
• Livelihood diversification, including fishing for a variety of species and income-earning activities by household members in addition to the head of household, is key for diversifying risk and allowing households to meet their consumption needs year-round.
• Fishing communities face significant restrictions in access to financial markets, jobs, and education.
• Although fishing households are better off than non-fishing ones in terms of income, they exhibit much lower education and literacy.
Files and links
Sustainable Development Goals
EfD Research Brief MS 1263, DP 21-12