Chukwuone, Nnaemeka Andegbe
Chukwuone Nnaemeka Andegbe is the Director of the Resource and Environmental Policy Research Centre (REPRC)- EfD Nigeria. He is also a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Agricultural Economics University of Nigeria Nsukka. He holds a PhD in Agricultural Economics, specializing in Resource and Environmental Economics. For over fifteen years, he has been conducting research and policy advocacy on local and global issues in agriculture, environment and resource economics, and development economics. He has published widely and presented at different international conferences and meetings. His research focuses on climate change, fisheries and marine economics, forestry, pollution, energy issues, agricultural finance, economic valuation, and, lately, carbon pricing.
Dr Nnaemeka Chukwuone's research interest includes a range of Resource and Environmental, Agricultural and Development Economic Policy Issues with a focus on natural resources (Forestry and Fisheries), climate change, energy issues, carbon pricing, environmental valuation and Pollution.
Mentoring (PhD students and masters)
Dr Nnaemeka Chukwuone has supervised and graduated 3 MSc students and 1 PhD student. He currently supervises 5 MSc students and 5 PhD students. He also mentored, trained and guided many graduate students, not directly assigned to him.
Grants and consultancy
Some Grants for On-going and Previous Projects
- MS1187- The Impact of Improved Environmental Management Practices on Small Scale Catfish Production: Experimental Evidence from Coastal Nigeria - Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative
- MS1172-Gender-based Analysis of Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Income and Food Security of Households in Nigeria- Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative.
- MS1165- Electricity reliability and electric cooking: What can we learn from cross-national comparisons? - Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative.
- Plastic Ban and Plastic Waste Management: Perceptions, Preferences and Willingness to Pay by Residents of Lagos Nigeria- Funded by National Geographic Society (NGS)- 2019-2022.
- Marine Collaborative Research Project- Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative.
- Coping with water scarcity, preferences and willingness to pay for water supply in Enugu Nigeria- Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative
- Estimation of Participation and welfare impacts of REDD+ community-based pilot projects in Nigeria- Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative
- Determinants and impact of use of climate smart agricultural practices: Evidence from Nigeria panel data- Funded by SIDA through Environment for Development Initiative – November 2018- Completed.
- Determinants of Financial Inclusion and Its Impact on Poverty Among Rural Households in Nigeria- Funded by African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) Under the Collaborative Study on Financial Inclusion in Africa- 2017-2018.
- Adding Fuel to the Fish: Perceptions and Adaptability of Nigeria Fisher Folks to Impacts from Climate Change and Petroleum Production – Co-PI in a Project carried out in collaboration with some researcher colleagues in University of Kiel Germany and funded by Future of Oceans, 2016 – 2019.
Some Consultancy Projects
- Short Term Consultant (STC) World Bank- December 2012 to Date. Has carried out many consultancy assignments for the World Bank in Nigeria.
- Consultant to the Federal Ministry of Environment and United National Development Programme (UNDP) for the development of Posit-COVID-19 Strategy for the Federal Ministry of Environment – June to August 2020.
- Team Leader, Production of Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA) for Mineral Diversification Project (MINDIVER) of the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development (MMSD), Project Implemented by Factor Resources Nigeria Limited, July 2019 to October, 2019.
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) consultant/expert for the National Agricultural Investment Plans (NAIP) Climate Smart Agriculture Project- Produced Status Assessment and Profile Report; and Policy and Program Opportunities Report for Eswatini, Namibia, Zambia and Lesotho- 2019.
- Natural Resource Economist for the Development of Nigeria REDD+ Strategy for Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria REDD Secretariat and GotoSearch Ltd July, 2018 to June 2019.
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP) - Consultant for coordinating the study on “Natural Resources Management Strategies (NRMSs) and Best Practices for Poverty Reduction, Sustainable Livelihoods and Economic Diversification in the Niger Delta”, under the Niger Delta Biodiversity Conservation Project, April 2017 to September 2017.
- National Expert on Climate Smart Agriculture, Agricultural Value Chain Analysis and Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction Modelling under International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Project for the Development of National Agricultural Investment Plans (NAIP) for some African countries – From 2016 and Ongoing.
Current Policy Engagement
- Member, Technical and Steering Committee, Nigeria PROBLUE Project- “Reducing Marine Plastic Pollution and Creating Plastic Recycling Market in Lagos State, Nigeria”- January 2022 to Date.
- Member, Nigeria Circular Economy Working Group (NCEWG)- 2021 to Date.
- Member, Steering Committee of the World Bank’s Technical Assistance Project: Climate Resilience and Environmental Management Program of Advisory Services and Analytics (CREM-PASA)- March 2023- Date.
International / national recognition (editorial or advisory boards, awards, etc.)
National Award: Nigeria at 60 Jubilee Special Award as an Outstanding Teacher/Lecturer by the President of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari on 30th September, 2021.