Oyarzo Aguilar, Mauricio
Mauricio Oyarzo is an Associate Professor in the School of Business and Management at the University of Concepción (UdeC), Campus Chillán (Chile). He is also an EfD Research Fellow and Deputy Director of the NENRE EfD-Chile. He is involved in the Sustainable Energy Transitions Initiative (SETI). He holds a Master's degree (2015) in Regional Science and a Ph.D. (2019) in Applied Economics with a specialization in Regional Studies from the Catholic University of the North (Chile). He is currently the President of the Chilean Society of Regional Studies (SOCHER).
He conducts research in the fields of regional and spatial economics, with a focus on mining resources and local public finance. His expertise lies in mining patents, decentralization, and local public management. Currently, he is researching the impact of mining windfalls and spatial interactions on the well-being of the local population living near mining areas.
He has served as an external evaluator for two master's theses and as an advisor for three undergraduate theses in the areas of Business and Management.
Grants and consultancy
- Grant: Organization of conferences, Vice Chancellor of Research and Development, UdeC (2022)
- Grant: Promotion of International Collaboration for Research Institutions FOVI210017 ANID (2021)
- Grant: VRID Fund for Event Attendance. Vice Chancellor of Research and Development, UdeC (2019).
- Grant: Competitive Fund for Conference Attendance (FCAC). Vice chancellor of Research and Development, Catholic University of the North (2018).
- Research Internship at Núcleo de Economia Regional e Urbana (NEREUS), Department of Ecomomics, Universidade de São Paulo (USP), Brasil. REDES 2015 CONICYT (2017).
- High-impact research award, VRID UdeC: Initiation in Research and Publication Impact (2022).
- Best Paper Award by a young regional scientist, Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization (PRSCO), Kyoto (2022).
- Prize for Best Master's Thesis at: Tesis de Interés para el Desarrollo Regional. Agrupación de Universidades Regionales de Chile (AUR), Universidad de Magallanes, Chile (2015).