AGWU, EKWE AGWU
Agwu Ekwe Agwu, a Professor who teaches in the Department of Agricultural Extension is also a Senior Research Fellow at the Resource and Environmental Policy Research Centre (REPRC), University of Nigeria Nsukka and equally the Director, University of Nigeria, Nsukka Water Resources Management Laboratory Limited. He obtained his professional training at the University of Nigeria Nsukka where he graduated with a Bachelor of Agriculture Degree in Agricultural Extension (with First Class Honors) in 1994; a Master’s degree and Doctorate degree in 1997 and 2000, respectively. He has been involved in teaching and research since 1995.
Professor Agwu’s research interest is in the areas of agricultural communication, rural development, extension policies and institutional reforms, as well as, climate change adaptation and food security. Prof Agwu has consulted extensively on issues of Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), effective communication platforms, natural resources management; value chain analysis and climate change adaptation and food security (using the innovation system framework). He is currently involved in research on Strengthening Agricultural Extension Training in Africa.
Professor Agwu have served as a Mentor to African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) (2010 – 2011), a Project of Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Gender and Diversity Program and has supervised over ten (10) PhDs; twenty - five (25) M.Scs., as well as, over fifty (50) undergraduate students.
GRANTS AND CONSULTANCIES
- Formative Research on Key Child Survival and Nutrition Practices in the First 1,000 Days of Life in Oyo State - FHI Solutions 2022.
- Strengthening the Capacity of Agricultural Extension Lecturers in Teaching Competency-Based Undergraduate Curriculum in Nigerian Universities - TETFund National Research Fund - 2021.
- Strengthening Agricultural Extension Training in the MSU-Alliance for African Partnership (AAP) Consortium - The Alliance for African Partnership (AAP) 2021 Partnerships for Innovative Research in Africa (PIRA) Grant.
- Resettlement Policy Framework for Agro-Climatic Resilience in Semi-Arid Landscapes (P175237). 2020 – June 2021.
- Conduct of Survey on Effective Communication Channels in Lagos State for Lagos State Agro-processing, Productivity Enhancement and Livelihood Improvement Support (APPEALS) Project. 2020 –2021.
- Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for Ogane- Aji Erosion Site in Kogi State under the Kogi State-Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (KSG-NEWMAP), (IBRD/ IDA Financed). 2020 –2021.
- Rehabilitation of 20 Ha of Degraded Forest Reserve at Dekina LGA, Kogi State for the Kogi State-Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (KSG-NEWMAP), (IBRD/ IDA Financed). 2018 –2019.
- Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation in Riverine Communities of Southern Nigeria—TETFund Institution Based Research (IBR) Grant. August 2016 - 2017
- Member, Board of Directors, , University of Nigeria, Nsukka Water Resources Management Laboratory Limited 2020 – Date
- Member, Governing Board, National Centre for Energy Research and Development, UNN, Energy Commission of Nigeria. 2018 –2020
- Member, Board of Governors, Presbyterian Joint Hospital, Uburu Ohaozara LGA, Ebonyi State. 2015 – 2017
- Nigerian Representative on the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) General Assembly 2014 – 2017
- Member, Steering Committee, Nigerian Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (NIFAAS) 2014 - 2015.
- Vice Chancellor’s Research Leadership Award (for 2018/2019 Academic Session), University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Awarded at the 49th Convocation Ceremony of University of Nigeria, Nsukka. June 12, 2021.
- Merit Award for the contributions and service in the development of Uburu Central School at 100 years of existence, 2013.
- Mentor, African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) (2010 – 2011), a Project of Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Gender and Diversity Program.
- Faculty of Agriculture, University of Nigeria, Outstanding Performance Award for Rehabilitation of the Farm Year Programme, 2007;
- Most Distinguished Alumnus, University of Nigeria, 2004;
- Federal Ministry of Education, Nigeria Post Graduate Scholarship (1997/1998 Session);
- Best Graduating Final-Year Student (for 1992/93 Session) of the Department of Agricultural Extension, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Nigeria Nsukka.