Jidere, Chika Mike
Jidere, Chika Mike, is a Fulbright Scholar and a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Soil Science, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He is also an Adjunct Senior Lecturer, at the Center for Environmental Management and Control, UNN; and a Research Fellow at Resource and Environmental Policy Research Centre (REPRC) – EfD. He holds a degree of B. Agric (Soil Science), MSc (Soil Chemistry) (2004) and PhD (Soil Biochemistry) (2019).
My main research areas are Environment, Soil Health and Soil Remediation using environment-friendly options. My research work is focused on phytoremediation of hydrocarbon contaminated soils, heavy metal distribution in soils and sediments, and nutrient distribution of soils overlaying varied geologic formations. I am currently involved in research on the carbon sequestration potential of different land use systems and contribution to climate change mitigation.
Supervised over twenty five undergraduate these, and Co-supervised five Master these and a PhD candidate in Soil Survey and Remote Sensing.
Grants and consultancy
- PhD Research Grant from Macaulay Development Trust, Aberdeen, United Kingdom;
- Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MASHAV) Grant to attend International R & D course on Agriculture and the Environment: Practices and Processes in soil and water management at The Volcani Center, Tel Aviv, Israel, November 2005.
- Grant to attend the United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa Course on “Land degradation and Management in a Rural Livelihood Context”. Accra Ghana – June 2004.
- Soil quality studies for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of several crude oil well locations in Niger Delta, Nigeria;
- Environmental Impact Assessment at the crude oil facilities of Nigerian Agip Oil Company in Niger Delta (Pirigbene Deep drilling location, Obiafu AC, AD and SW drilling locations, Beniboye Offshore drilling location and Clough Creek flow station);
- Post Impact Assessment of crude oil spill sites at Oil Wells 14 and 15of Nigerian Agip Oil Company;
- Coordinated the soil study for the EIA of the dredging of Oguta Lake for the Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority;
- Land degradation mapping and assessment for prevention and control of potential erosion hazards in Nigeria using Satellite Remote Sensing and GIS techniques;
- Detailed soil survey of the sites for Special Program for Food Security (SPFS) in Nigeria.
- Environmental audit studies at Snig Nigeria Ltd, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria and Michelin Nigeria Ltd Port Harcourt, Rivers State;
- Soil suitability study for chemical waste disposal site belonging to Baker Hugh Nig. Ltd, Rivers State.
- Environmental Impact Assessment of waste disposal site at Mobil Nigeria Unlimited, Bonny Island River Terminal, Rivers State.
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States of America, 2010 – 2011;
- Awarded prize for the first position at the Global Food Security Seminar in Lincoln, Nebraska, organized by Institute of International Education, USA, 2010;
- PhytoScholar Award 2010 by International Phytotechnologies Society (IPS) in Italy;
- Best Graduating Final Year Student in the Department of Soil Science, University of Nigeria, Nsukka – 1995/96 Academic Session.