This folder contains EfD projects.
- south africa | Climate change Policy design Implementing environmentally responsible investment strategies (ERI)in the South African investment and financial sector The research project led by Dr Stephanie Giamporcaro focuses on Environmental Finance and Environmental Investment. The research program aims thus to explore how environmentally responsible investment approaches are implemented currently in South Africa and how the implementation of these strategies in the country’s financial and investment sector can be facilitated in order to promote a sustainable growth in South Africa and a sustainable use of natural resources .
- south africa | Energy CPRs, Land Tenure, Compliance, Enforcement and Corruption: South African Case Studies Using what amounts to a field experiment we analyse whether the electricity consumption patterns of consumers are altered by the experience of blackouts and the exposure to Eskom’s communication. Secondly; we analyse bargaining experiments focussed on disputes concerning conservation-land owned by the South African National Defence Force and the conservation agencies.
- south africa | Fisheries Abalone poaching, methamphetamine use, criminal activity in South Africa and the associated implications for resource management This study seeks to explore the relationship between abalone poaching, use of methamphetamine and crime activity in the coastal communities of South Africa; and the associated implications for the management of the resource.
- south africa | Climate change Climate change in an experimental setting: The effect of stochastic future disasters and country vulnerability on cooperation. In this project we are investigate the trade off between countries’ investments in adaptation and mitigation. We study how the investment behaviour in these two types of investments differs between types of countries (where countries differ in terms of vulnerability).
- south africa | Parks & Wildlife Policy design The optimal pricing of national parks with nationality-based price discrimination and park substitution Nature based tourism is a popular and rapidly growing industry in South Africa. Developing nations are finding it useful to use their natural resources in order to create competitive advantage over the developed world.
- south africa | Climate change Impact of Climate Policy and Policy Instruments on Investment on Environment Scepticism with respect to the consequences of climate change is declining worldwide as this issue takes a prominent place on global political agenda. However, the overall extent and magnitude of climate change consequences are still extremely uncertain. As such, any economic analysis of climate change must take cognisance of the economics of risk and uncertainty.
- south africa | Agriculture Quantification and valuation of the water treatment services of wetlands at a landscape scale Wetlands are considered to perform a number of ecosystem services, including the improvement of water quality. However, few empirical studies have been carried out on the capacity of wetlands to perform a water treatment function, or on the demand for this function, with the result that most estimates of the value of this service are based on a weak foundation. Furthermore, the measurement of this function is confounded by the complications in trying to assess water quality entering and leaving wetlands because of surface to groundwater interactions.
- china eeu sweden ethiopia south africa | Agriculture Forestry Policy design Land Reforms in Asia and Africa - Impacts on Poverty and Natural Resource Management In this research project EfD aims to draw lessons from land reforms in several Asian and African countries. The findings will be presented in a book edited by Professors Stein Holden and Keijiro Otsuka and titled "Land Reforms in Asia and Africa - Impacts on Poverty and Natural Resource Management".