Background: The Strategic Planning and Development Effectiveness Office (SPD) reports to the Office of the President and the Executive Vice-President and is charged with providing technical guidance to the Executive team in order to develop a culture of results within the Bank and to help the Bank innovate its core business, the effectiveness and efficiency of its products and methods over time. The SDV Division is charged with elaborating and proposing strategic directions and analyzing the external effectiveness of the strategic choices made by the institution.
The team: The SPD/SDV Office is looking for an Agriculture and Natural Resource Economist to work in Washington DC. The Contractual will (i) provide support on the design and implementation of impact evaluation of IDB’s operations; (ii) participate in the preparation of the Development Effectiveness Overview (DEO), project completion reports, evaluation guidelines, working papers, and other SPD reports related to development effectiveness; (iii) support quality at entry review of projects to be presented to the IDB Board; and (iv) contribute in a range of technical and sector topics particularly in the area of agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and energy.
What you’ll do: Provide technical support for the assurance of:
- The delivery of planned operational, corporate and technical products and services of SPD/SDV that support, directly or indirectly, the work of the Bank in the region.
- The improvement of the communication of our corporate results and of our knowledge products both internally and externally beyond the development community.
- Coordinate and participate in the design and oversight of impact evaluations related to IDB projects.
- Design questionnaires, train enumerators, and coordinate with executing agencies and data collection firms before and during data collection activities.
- Carry out econometric and statistical analysis, as required, related to impact evaluation and studies.
- Assist and participate in the writing of different products drafts, as required.
- Participate in projects missions to Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) countries, when needed, to assist in issues related to development effectiveness and evaluation.
- Originate, participate in and oversee specialized analytic and research papers on areas of strategic importance to the IDB.
- Oversee and participate in specialized training for personnel on technical evaluation techniques, as required.
- Oversee and participate in the dissemination of results of different analytic products, including preparation of presentations, executive summaries, or other materials, as required.
- Assist in formal review processes of operational documents (Project Proposal, Project Completion Report) through application of the Development Effectiveness Matrix (DEM).
- Participate in the preparation of loans for developing projects in the agriculture and natural resource sector.
- Supporting teams in the preparation of the vertical logic of the program,
- Identifying indicators to monitor project effectiveness and preparing impact evaluation designs.
Deliverables: The contractuals are expected to contribute to various SDV products and reports including monitoring and evaluation plans, the DEO, project completion reports, working papers, and guidelines. Their contributions will be delivered on the basis of a by-weekly schedule which will be defined monthly by the contractual’s supervisor.
Skills you’ll need:
- Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural and Resource Economics, Energy Economics, or related field. Doctoral degree preferable.
- Experience: At least five years of relevant professional and academic experience in program evaluation, applied economics and development economics, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Languages: Ability to read, write and speak Spanish and English.
Core and Technical Competencies: Preference will be given to expertise in areas related to environment, natural resource management, agriculture, rural development, and energy.
- Type of Contract: Consultant
- Payment timeline: Monthly
- Length of contract: 24 months
- Starting date: 07/16/2018
- Location: IDB Headquarters, Washington DC
- Responsible person: Principal Specialist, SPD/SDV
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Payment and Conditions: Compensation will be determined in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may contribute toward travel and moving expenses. In addition, candidates must be citizens of an IDB member country.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded.
Consanguinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank policy, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the IDB, IDB Invest, or MIF as staff members or Complementary Workforce contractuals, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Jun 7, 2018, 4:00:00 AM
Closing Date:Jun 14, 2018, 3:59:00 AM
Contact Name - External: Jobs Online
Contact Email - External: firstname.lastname@example.org